Sunday, April 14, 2013

Event Review: Jamie Lidell @ Rock N Roll Hotel


I have been to the Rock N Roll Hotel before and have had mixed experiences. The first time I went was to go see The Noisettes and that was amazing, the last time I went was to go see Ladyhawke earlier this year. That was awful because the show started a couple of hours late and it was on a weeknight!!! I could go on and on but on to the reason for this post: Jamie Lidell.

I have known about him for a couple of years since I heard the song Multiply and thought that this guy had a cool sound. I think the last time he was in the area was for his last album @ the 9:30 Club. So I was very excited to see he was coming to town but not necessarily about the venue. So before the event I got a snack to last me.....I had 3 acts to watch!!!!
 






 
Now on to the show:
 
 
The first act was Ludwig Persik. I have a confession to make. I got there a little late and got to only hear a few songs. The first I heared reminded me of Prince from the 80's. Overall he reminded me of a young Jamie Lidell and I could see why he choose him to be an opening act.
 
 
 
 
 



Reminded me of:

Let's Go Crazy

Can U Dig It??? youtube.com/ttopcar | Myspace Video



Ludwig Persik


Next up was Empress Of. I am not sure if it was a group or a solo artist. It reminded me of a fusion between The Cardigans + The Cranberries + Peaches + Gossip. It was an exciting set and now we were one step away from what we were all waiting for!

 
 
 
 
 





                                                                  EmpressOf


Now the time had come. Before he even took the stage he had an eccentric looking piano.
 
 
 
It was a mix between KITT from Night Rider:
 
 

+




The USS Enterprise from Star Trek

 
The way he started was the way he finished: Strong. It was cool that it was just him and he actually sang and talked with the audience. He performed most of the songs from his new album, which I will review soon and also his classics!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was a great night and for $15.00 you could not beat it. Points were recouped (to a point) for the Rock N Roll Hotel because the show started & finished on time. There was one problem... that bass from the speaker totally killed my throat...
 

and I felt something crawl in my shirt....
 


 
A GREAT NIGHT!!!!
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment