I got to the show early to get a good seat and was suprised there was a line around the block. It was good that I was in line with some good peeps and was able to past the time until doors opened.
Being at the venue was great and there was alot of imagery to capture. I was able to get a seat in the first rows on the right, right by the speakers.
The show started with an opening set from some DJs. As they started it was not clear who or what they were and what their style of DJing was.
Alot of people in the crowd were looking like this:
It got to the point were I had to go get some water to get a break from what I was seeing.
The problem was that it wasn't cohesive and not flowing well. They also seemed to be in a world of their own and only engaged the audience here and there. After my water break things seemed to kick into full gear as they were playing stuff from the 80's and 90's so by the end they had redeemed themselves.
Then the main event was getting ready to start and out comes Mika with his band. Except the band just so happened to be the opening act.
As Mika began to perform, you could tell he was passionate and not lipsyncing a word. He went through his whole catalouge and performed songs in a way were you felt like it was a private event at your home.
During the set he decided to go acapella with just his voice which was very impressive and one of the major highlights.
This is what I love about overseas acts that do not dominate US radio and charts. It gives you a chance to see them in an intimate venue instead of a stadium. The artists that come to mind besides Mika are Kylie Minogue and Lykke Li. Kylie came to the D.C area for the Aphrodite tour and gave you the same show as her overseas fans but in a far more intimate venue. She did not have a budget cut in the show for her U.S fans which made it go down as one of the best show I'll see in my lifetime. Now as far as Lykke Li, she was the first artist I saw at the Sixth and I Synagogue and made me fall in love with the venue.
I will leave you with two of my favorite Mika songs:
And one for Lykke Li since she was my first @ Sixth and I:
And here's a special shout out to the white guys dancing:
























No comments:
Post a Comment